Legislative/Public Policy Coordinators
for the Christian Home Education Community in California
To defend our freedom as parents to train, educate and care for our children privately, without governmental interference.
In 1986, The Christian Home Educators Association of California (CHEA), attorney Michael Smith of the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), and others – determined that California needed a full time person to assure that state laws protect the God-given and constitutional rights of parents to direct the education and care of their children. CHEA, HSLDA, and others asked Roy Hanson to serve as Special Consultant for Legislative Affairs in California. Roy established Family Protection Ministries (FPM) in 1986 to accomplish this mission and has served as the full-time Executive Director ever since. Roy was joined by Jim Davis (now retired) in 1994 and Nathan Pierce in 2002.
Each year, new bills threatening private home education, private schools, and parental rights are introduced. FPM’s strategic leadership has been vital to stopping or amending dozens of damaging bills. Some of the dangerous proposals that have been stopped include: criminalizing homeschooling, defining educational neglect and truancy as child abuse (which could have been used against homeschoolers), statewide daytime curfews, mandatory government home visits of all infants and toddlers, and mandatory psychiatric examinations for all citizens every three years. The efforts of FPM have also been critical in passing positive legislation protecting parental rights (for example, excluding spankings in the definition of child abuse, reducing the absolute immunity of social workers in order to protect innocent parents from false accusations of child abuse, and requiring CPS social workers performing an investigation of suspected child abuse or neglect to advise the individual of the allegations against him).
Family Protection Ministries (FPM) is critical in coordinating with other groups all across the state and nation to assure a united approach to legislation affecting parental rights, religious freedoms, and private home education. A premature or wrong approach in the legislative arena, by even a single well-meaning person or group, could make life very difficult for most of us.
- Acting as a central clearinghouse for information on California state legal/legislative status and action
- Analyzing every bill introduced in the legislature and tracking dozens of state (and federal) legislative proposals each year (They are hard to spot and are changed rapidly and often secretively.)
- Advocacy in support, opposition or modification of specific legislation
- Sending regular Legislative Updates & Alerts for supporters and homeschool leaders both by mail and email
- Writing position papers based on sound legal research and a Biblical worldview
- Building positive relationships with legislators and education officials
- Liaison to CHEA, HSLDA, and other home school groups, private school organizations and parental rights groups
- Serving the Lord Jesus Christ and glorifying Him by serving you and others
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE:
Roy Hanson and his wife Debra were married in 1972. They educated their children at home through high school. Roy holds a master’s degree in public policy and has many years of experience in legislative analysis and action. Before working in behalf of California homeschoolers full time, he was the Director of the Public Policy Resource Center in Southern California (‘81-‘86). Prior to that, Roy served on the faculty of the University of Texas at Austin (‘77 to ‘81). Roy founded FPM in 1986 and has served as Executive Director since then.
Nathan Pierce and his wife Betsy were married in 2004. They are homeschooling their children and plan to do so until graduation. Nathan was homeschooled through highschool and went on to receive a bachelor’s degree in political studies from The Master’s College. Nathan has had over 10 years of experience doing advocacy work at the State Capitol. Nathan began his work at FPM in 2002 and serves as Legislative Liaison and Office Manager.
Family Protection Ministries (FPM) is the only full-time organization working in the state capitol monitoring all legislative and administrative actions and advocating in behalf of private home educators and parents. FPM is totally dependent upon home educators’ regular financial support for 100% of salary and expense needs. In order to continue to serve you by defending the educational and parental freedoms of home educators, FPM needs your financial support. This ministry has a critical need for additional monthly support for salary and ministry/office operating expenses.
Our basic freedoms are at great risk. We need to find families, homeschool groups, private school satellite programs, and churches that will commit to giving $20, $50, $100, or more each month toward the support of this one-of-a-kind ministry.
If you can help, your tax-deductible gift should be made payable to Family Protection Ministries (or FPM) and sent directly to the address below. (Family Protection Ministries is a part of New Century Educators - a nonprofit organization.) We cannot do this tremendous job alone. This ministry is 100% faith supported. Please be a part of our team. Your help is needed now!
HOW TO RECEIVE EMAIL ALERTS AND NEWSLETTERS
FROM FAMILY PROTECTION MINISTRIES
We have two forms of communication that we publish on a regular basis. Our Legal-Legislative Update Newsletter and Email Alert/Updates provide firsthand reports of any changes in the law and legal/legislative threats to the rights of private home-educating parents in California. We send our communications on a complimentary basis to those who are in either one of the following two categories:
(1) Homeschooling Leaders or Pastors who want to receive our Email Alerts as well as our Newsletters may go to our website and fill out the Leadership Sign-up Form at www.pheofca.org/leaders.php.
(2) Supporters who contribute $40 or more each calendar year to FPM. If you contribute $40 or more per calendar year and would like to also receive our Email Alerts, send your name, email and mailing address to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.